1) Unless otherwise indicated herein, dimensions of rooms or spaces shall be measured between finished wall surfaces and between finished floor and ceiling surfaces.
1) Two or more areas may be considered as a combination room if the opening between the areas occupies the larger of 3 m2 or 40% or more of the area of the wall measured on the side of the dependent area.
2) Where the dependent area is a bedroom, direct passage shall be provided between the two areas.
1) Every building shall be designed in conformance with Section 3.8.
1) Where access is required to any floor area, the requirements in Article 22.214.171.124. shall apply.
1) The ceiling heights of rooms or spaces in residential occupancies shall conform to Table 126.96.36.199.
2) Areas in rooms or spaces over which ceiling height is not less than the minimum specified in Table 188.8.131.52. shall be contiguous with the entry or entries to those rooms or spaces.
| Table 184.108.40.206. |
Room Ceiling Heights
Forming Part of Sentences 220.127.116.11.(1) and (2)
|Room or Space||Minimum Ceiling Height, m||Minimum Clear Height, m||Minimum Area Over Which Minimum Ceiling Height Shall Be Provided(1)|
|Living room or space||2.1||Lesser of area of the space or 10.0 m2|
|Dining room or space||2.1||Lesser of area of the space or 5.2 m2|
|Kitchen or kitchen space||2.1||Lesser of area of the space or 3.2 m2|
|Master bedroom or bedroom space||2.1||Lesser of area of the space or 4.9 m2|
|Other bedroom or sleeping space||2.1||Lesser of area of the space or 3.5 m2|
|Unfinished basement including laundry area therein||2.0||Clear height under beams and in any location that would normally be used for passage|
|Bathroom, water-closet room or laundry area above grade||2.1||Lesser of area of the space or 2.2 m2|
|Passage, hall or main entrance vestibule||2.1||Area of the space|
|Habitable rooms and spaces not specifically mentioned above||2.1||Lesser of area of the space or 2.2 m2|
1) The ceiling height above and below a mezzanine floor assembly in occupancies other than residential occupancies shall be not less than 2.1 m.
1) The clear height in a storage garage shall be not less than 2 m.
1) The unobstructed width of a hallway within a dwelling unit shall be not less than 860 mm, except that the hallway width is permitted to be 710 mm where
a)there are only bedrooms and bathrooms at the end of the hallway furthest from the living area, and
b)a second exit is provided
i)in the hallway near the end farthest from the living area, or
ii)in each bedroom served by the hallway.