1) Division A contains the compliance and application provisions, objectives and functional statements of this By-law.
1) Division B contains the acceptable solutions of this By-law.
1) Division C contains the administrative provisions of this By-law.
1) Where the Division of a referenced provision is not specified in this By-law, it shall mean that the referenced provision is in the same Division as the referencing provision.
1) Parts 1, 2 and 3 of Division A apply to all buildings covered in this By-law. (See Article 22.214.171.124.)
1) Parts 1, 7 and 8 of Division B apply to all buildings covered in this By-law. (See Article 126.96.36.199.)
1) Parts 3, 4, 5, and 6 of Division B apply to all buildings described in Article 188.8.131.52. and
a) classified as post-disaster buildings,
b)used for major occupancies classified as
i)Group A, assembly occupancies,
ii)Group B, care or detention occupancies, or
iii)Group F, Division 1, high-hazard industrial occupancies, or
c)exceeding 600 m2 in building area or exceeding 3 storeys in building height used for major occupancies classified as
i)Group C, residential occupancies,
ii)Group D, business and personal services occupancies,
iii)Group E, mercantile occupancies, or
iv)Group F, Divisions 2 and 3, medium- and low-hazard industrial occupancies.
2) Part 4 shall apply to all buildings except one and two family dwellings and accessory buildings.
3) Part 5 shall apply to all Group C multi-family buildings and Artist Live/Work Studios
a)more than 2 storeys in building height or
b)more than 600 m2 in building area regardless of firewalls.
1) Except as provided in Sentence 184.108.40.206.(2), Part 9 of Division B applies to all buildings described in Article 220.127.116.11. of 3 storeys or less in building height, having a building area not exceeding 600 m2, and used for major occupancies classified as
a)Group C, residential occupancies (See Appendix Note A-18.104.22.168.(1). of Division B),
b)Group D, business and personal services occupancies,
c)Group E, mercantile occupancies, or
d)Group F, Divisions 2 and 3, medium- and low-hazard industrial occupancies.
1) Where a firewall divides a building, each portion of the building so divided shall be considered as a separate building, except when this requirement is specifically modified in other parts of this By-law. (See Appendix A.)
2) Except as permitted in Sentence (3), where portions of a building are completely separated by a vertical fire separation that has a fire-resistance rating of not less than 1 h and extends through all storeys and service spaces of the separated portions, each separated portion is permitted to be considered as a separate building for the purpose of determining building height, provided
a)each separated portion is not more than 3 storeys in building height and is used only for residential occupancies, and
b)the unobstructed path of travel for a firefighter from the nearest street to one entrance of each separated portion is not more than 45 m.(See Appendix A.)
3) The vertical fire separation referred to in Sentence (2) may terminate at the floor assembly immediately above a basement provided the basement conforms to Article 22.214.171.124. of Division B.
1) Where a subdivision of land creates a parcel boundary in or through a building which otherwise complies with this By-law, or new construction is proposed to cross an existing parcel boundary, such building or a portion of the building may at the discretion of the Chief Building Official be considered as a single building not requiring internal firewalls or party walls along lot lines provided that legal agreements are registered against title to all parcels whereby
a)all relevant owners grant easements necessary to ensure common access to the fire and life safety systems and exits required for the building to function as a single building and to allow the owners to operate and maintain the building and its common systems, and
b)all owners grant a covenant to the city on terms acceptable to its Director of Legal Services and the Chief Building Official whereby the owners
i)acknowledge and agree that they have requested the Chief Building Official to treat the building as a single building,
ii)release and indemnify the city and the Chief Building Official for, without limitation, all liability arising from the Chief Building Official agreeing to treat the building or a portion of the building as a single building for the purposes of this By-law, and
iii)agree to inspect, test and keep in good repair and good working order all common fire and life safety systems, common utilities and shared exits located on their parcel and, to the extent necessary, use the easements referred to in Clause (a) for that purpose.
1) Except for buildings described in Sentence (2), all newly constructed buildings shall be provided with an automatic sprinkler system designed and installed in accordance with Article 126.96.36.199. of Division B.
2) The following buildings are not required to be sprinklered
a)temporary buildings conforming to Subsection 1A.7.7. of Division C, and tents and air-supported structures conforming to Subsection 3.1.6. of Division B,
b)one storey non-residential storage buildings less than 100 m2 in building area, and having a limiting distance on all sides of not less than 15 m,
c)one storey detached residential garages and carports,
d)one storey detached buildings which are accessory to one- and two-family dwellings, and which are less than 50 m2 in building area,
e)industrial or hazardous occupancies where the Chief Building Official accepts that the installation of an automatic sprinkler system would represent a hazard to the occupants or would be incompatible with the use of the building,
f)public concession stands and changing room buildings less than 100 m2 in building area and having a limiting distance on all sides of not less than 15 m,
h)bleachers which do not contain roofed occupancies,
j)greenhouses used solely for the growing of plants where no public admittance is permitted, and
k)one storey portable classroom buildings of less than 100 m2 in building area with an occupancy classification of Group A Division 2 or Group D. [See Appendix A.]
1) Except as permitted in Sentence (2), all buildings referenced in Sentence 188.8.131.52.(1) and Sentence 184.108.40.206.(3) of Division B shall comply with the energy efficient design requirements of ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA 90.1, “Energy Standard for Building Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings”.
2) If the Chief Building Official, in consultation with the Director of Planning, is of the opinion that enforcement of the ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA 90.1 Standard will result in unnecessary hardship including, without limitation, the incremental cost of full compliance exceeding the discounted value of future energy savings, the Chief Building Official, in consultation with the Director of Planning, may relax the requirements of Sentence 220.127.116.11.(1). [See Appendix A.]
3) Group C, residential occupancies, less than 4 storeys in building height shall comply with the energy efficient design requirements of Section 9.25. of Division B, "Heat Transfer, Air Leakage and Condensation Control”.
1) Parts 1 and 2 of Division C apply to all buildings covered in this By-law. (See Article 18.104.22.168.)